The idea of an SEO audit is quite similar to getting your car for an oil change. You know that it plays a crucial role in extending the car’s lifespan but still has second thoughts. It is because the oil change process involves the technician replacing the oil, inspecting the fluids, and testing the air pressure, which may require a certain amount of time. It clearly reflects that taking your automobile to the mechanic means you will be without it for a while, and no one likes that! However, it is a necessary process with long-term advantages.
Never fall for the idea of cutting across the cliff!
People around you may try to change your perspective about SEO auditing. They will put forth excuses like closing a sales deal, training fresh employees, or delivering uninterrupted customer service, which can delay your website audit. Also, some companies conduct one-time SEO audits on their business website and forget about it. But no matter how unimportant it sounds, just like a car oil change, you must conduct an SEO audit of your businesses to ensure their long-term success.
Let’s look at the important reasons that will help you analyze why a website requires regular SEO auditing.
Identification of Technical Issues
A detailed SEO Audit allows the identification of technical issues and further helps search engines crawl on your website in an improved manner. The technical SEO elements which an audit identifies include:
- The speed of the website: Google pays special attention to the UX and loading speed of the website when determining its SEO rank. Your site must be prepared to engage the users with worthy content within a wait time of three seconds, else they are very likely to bounce. An SEO audit can help you understand the issues that contribute to long load time, like large images and slow server to redundant backend.
- Redirects and 404 errors: Your site should not have too many redirects or 404 error pages as it contributes to a slower user experience. They act as a roadblock that can affect the users’ perspective and keep them from visiting your business site. So, try to fix these with the help of an audit to offer a seamless user experience.
- Site Architecture, URL Structure, and Crawlability: The website should incorporate subfolders to ensure that the site architecture and the URLs are descriptive but concise. Coming to the aspect of crawlability, it enables the search engine to crawl your website. Use the robots.txt file and rel=noindex tags with the dynamic sitemap.
Identification of website on-page issues
On-page SEO refers to the optimizations which can enable your content ‘to be seen.’ It covers the following elements;
- Meta Titles and Description: You must be very precise while drafting the meta-title &Meta description. The title should be between 35-70 characters, while the description should not be more than 160 characters, rich in keywords and CTA, if relevant.
- Headers and Internal Linking: The header should be a one-line summary of the entire content or page. You must keep it short with keywords and mention it in the H1 header to optimize and rank on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP). Integrating internal links will allow users to navigate your site in a better way.
Identification of Competition
It is silly to aim to build the worlds’ tallest skyscrapers without knowing the height of other skyscrapers. In other words, unless you identify your competition, you will not be able to create an impactful identity and emerge as the best. The competition enables you to learn about the direction in which you should take more effort. With the help of an SEO auditor, you can identify your competitors, chalk out an effective strategy, and develop the right plan to build the ultimate skyscraper.
Identification of Backlinks
Backlinks have emerged as an essential part of determining Google’s algorithm. By incorporating reputable links to your excellent content, you can help your site rank better. Undertaking an SEO audit will help you deal with questions like:
- How many backlinks does your website have?
- Does my website have spam backlinks?
- How many backlinks does my competition have?
Creation of an Effective Content Strategy
Undoubtedly, backlinks are a great channel to have an improved SEO rank, but you must also pay special attention to content writing simultaneously. It is because the content is the king when it comes to SEO. Prepare a proper content strategy and post engaging content regularly to make sure your users come back. Your content must be keyword-rich, including both long-tail and short-tail keywords targeting potential customers. However, avoid keyword stuffing and plagiarism.
How often should you conduct an SEO Audit?
Well, you must conduct SEO Audit regularly, but it entirely depends on your website. If you own an active site or have to fix it, you must opt for a monthly SEO audit. Otherwise, you must aim to perform an audit at a brief interval of three to six months as the internet algorithms and digital marketing services trends are ever-changing. You can also consult our SEO auditors at 888-694-8634 to take advantage of free auditing of your site to fix the errors at the earliest.